Responsive design is important for your website to be accessible from multiple devices. People now use multiple platforms for going online, including smartphones, tablets, laptops and desktops. Users want to have a consistent experience across each device. If you are not able to reach your audience through mobile search or display, or if you aren’t providing a satisfactory mobile experience, you will miss out compared to competitors who are.
A responsive site is built on a fluid grid, meaning the widths will be based on percentages instead of on pixels, allowing the website to “scale” with the device it’s being viewed on. Non-essential items can be removed at smaller screen sizes to reduce clutter and improve the user experience. A responsive site allows users to have a positive interaction with your business no matter what device they are using.
If you still aren’t convinced you need your website to be responsive on all devices, take a look at these statistics.
*Based on The Connected Consumer Survey 2017 (United States)
- 78% of people use a smartphone
- 77% of people use a computer
- 46% of people use a tablet
- 38% of people use three screens (computer, smartphone and tablet)
- 69% of people access the Internet at least as often via smartphone as computer
- 52% off all website traffic worldwide is through mobile phones
- One-third of e-commerce sales are on mobile devices
- 57% of users say they won’t recommend a business with a poorly designed mobile site
Make sure your website is responsive so you don’t miss out on business.